Alessandro Dotti - From the Mind to the Eye

thumb dotti3

“Since I was a child I have loved the idea that something as fleeting and intangible as an idea can be translated into a material object.”

This observation has proved to be something of a lifelong obsession for Brescia born Alessandro Dotti. After graduating from the School of Architecture at the Polytechnic of Milan, this talented young designer has discovered that travel really does broaden the mind.

dotti3“Since I was a child I have loved the idea that something as fleeting and intangible as an idea can be translated into a material object.”

This observation has proved to be something of a lifelong obsession for Brescia born Alessandro Dotti. After graduating from the School of Architecture at the Polytechnic of Milan, this talented young designer has discovered that travel really does broaden the mind.

His experiences of working in Russia and Azerbijan have taught him a great deal about the cultures and ideas of different countries.

However, he still feels that Italian design can hold its own in a changing world: “It’s the combination of attention to detail, the history of elegance, the development of new materials and the willingness to customise the architectural space that makes Italian style so attractive and so vital.”

Like most creative people, Alessandro sounds far less confident when asked about his favourite project. “It sounds like a cliché,” he says, “but can I say the next one? The trouble is that I’m very critical of my work and when something is finished it’s easy to see all the things that I might have done differently, but the next project, it is a clean sheet, a tabula rasa. It is so easy to be bewitched by the concept of the ideal form. ”

Alessandro has worked with Estomar91 on several projects, including a large private estate, which posed a number of challenges, not the least of which was to lend a touch of warmth and classicism to a strikingly modernist interior.

“My role was primarily stylistic, following the artistic direction of the project through materials and colour. One of the aspects that I really feel is truly vital is the creation of a sensory atmosphere through attention to detail. I think that it is this obsession of mine that has made my collaboration with the Estomar91 team so enjoyable and so rewarding.”

dotti2Despite the current economic situation, Alessandro Dotti has confidence in the future. “We are facing a challenging time, that is for sure, but I think that this moment of crisis will actually prove to be the herald of greater opportunities. It might even mean that we will need to modify the way that we look at the concept of architecture, but this is no bad thing if we learn to be more flexible.”

This year has already proved to be a busy year for this young architect: “For the rest of the year and 2013 I will be busy working on several projects in various parts of the world, but I am hoping also to be able to find time to work in Italy.”